Guide to Gambling in Canada
Are you wondering what the legal gambling age in Canada and your province is? Or perhaps how many land casinos are nearby? How about gambling laws on taxable income?
This gambling guide has answered all of this and more, including:
- How to sign up to a gambling site
- What payment methods are best to use
- Tips and tricks for gambling in Canada
What is the Legal Gambling Age in Canada?
|Flag||Region||Minimum Gambling Age||Number of Land Casinos|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||19||2|
|Prince Edward Island||19||1|
How to Sign Up to a Gambling Site in Canada
Choose a Casino
Firstly, pick an online casino that suits you. All of our recommended casino sites are perfectly safe and secure for you to play at in Canada.
Open an Account
Next, choose a screen name and provide basic personal information. This might include documentation such as a scan of your ID card, utility bill, bank statement or credit card.
Make a Deposit
Choose a banking method from the casino’s cashier and enter the necessary information to make your first deposit. This is when you can redeem a welcome bonus too.
Play on Any Device
You are now free to gamble online on your mobile or computer. All the top online casinos offer mobile apps or sites that can be run from devices such as your iPhone, iPad or Android.
Popular Gambling Payment Methods
Some of most popular payment methods for gambling online are credit or debit cards like Visa and MasterCard.
How to Make an Online Gambling Transaction
- After you’ve signed up for an account, go to the cashier and choose your preferred method of payment to make your first deposit.
- Enter the necessary information, such as credit card number, name on card or PayPal email address.
- Choose how much you want to deposit and then confirm the transaction.
- If all the details are correct, the funds will be in your account instantly with most payment methods.
Online Gambling Tips and Tricks
Is Your Gambling Income Taxable in Canada?
When it comes to gambling tax in Canada, it is always best to check with a specialist advisor. However, as the Canadian law stands right now, unless you are the one organizing the gambling activities (in other words, you’re the casino) you will probably not be taxed.
Another exception is if you make a living gambling, like a pro poker player for example. In that case your winnings are taxed by standard income rates. If you’re just a recreational gambler, however, none of your winnings will be taxed.
What to Do When Gambling Becomes a Problem
Gambling can become a dangerous addiction that can damage lives and social relationships. If you feel that signing off is becoming an issue, refer to our dedicated Problem Gambling page, or to some of the resources listed below or:
- Problem Gambling – an Ontario organization that offers help to gamblers who need it.
- Gambling Problem Helpline – a helpline for Canadian players in need of counseling. It can be reached on 1-866-332-2322.
- Responsible Gambling – a website offering help to Canadian players who feel they cannot stop playing.
In addition, every Canadian territory has its own Alcohol and Gambling commission website that provides information regarding responsible gaming.
Online Gambling FAQs
Online gambling refers to playing traditional casino games such as poker, baccarat, roulette, slots and much more through a website. You can often find far more game variants and offers online than at land casinos.
Sports betting is also a big part of online gambling.
The information on this page is offered as a general guide. It does not provide either tax or legal advice, and it should not be used in this manner. Users should seek formal financial and legal advice from an independent provider if they have any questions to do with online gambling activity.
- Online Casinos Canadian players enjoy your favourite games at our top online casino.
- Online Poker Play real money online poker cash games and tournaments 24/7.
- Sports Betting Discover the top bookies to place your online sports bets with.
- Slots Canadian slots players win huge progressive jackpots and play newest games.