Soccer betting guide for 2023
Soccer is statistically the world’s biggest sport in terms of viewing figures, participation and news coverage. It is also a major sport in Canada, with soccer betting being among the most popular. We’ll guide you through the best soccer betting sites, bets to take, how to read odds and more below.
Best soccer betting sites in Canada
19+ only. Game responsibly. T&Cs apply
- Choose a trusted online soccer betting site, such as the ones we’ve picked
- Sign up, log in and locate the sports section
- Click on the ‘soccer’ or ‘football’ section, depending on the site
- Find a league and fixture/outright market you wish to bet on
- Select a bet you wish to make to add it to the betslip
- Enter your stake to see how much you could win
- If happy, confirm the bet and wait for the result to come in
How to read betting odds in soccer
So, how does soccer betting work? Decimal betting is the most common form in Canada, so we’ll take you through that format for an example. If Canada are 3.10 to beat USA (2.40) in an international fixture, they are the underdogs with the higher betting odds.
To work out how much you could win, simply times the bet by your stake. So, if you bet C$10 for Canada to win, you could win C$31 in total. That’s C$21 in profit plus your stake back.
You can try out other bets and combinations in our soccer bet calculator below. Or, if you wish to convert odds to the American style moneyline (eg +210) or British fractions (21/10), our odds calculator can help you with that too.
Popular types of soccer bets
There are many different soccer bets online to choose from, and we’ll take you through some of the most popular types below:
Moneyline / to win or draw
This is the most popular and simplest soccer bet to take, as you are simply wagering on who will win a game. In soccer, there is also the option to bet on a draw.
For example, the home team is the slight favourite with odds of 2.37 to beat another at 2.90. A draw is the outsider price at 3.50. For more lucrative betting, you can even predict the exact score of the game.
Handicap / spread betting
While not as common in soccer compared to popular North American competitions such as the NBA and NHL, handicap betting (aka the spread or goal line) will still be found at all top sportsbooks in Canada.
So, what is the handicap in soccer betting? It is when the sportsbook sets soccer betting lines to make two teams more evenly matched. So, the favourite will be handicapped a certain number of goals. For example, if the favourite is given a -1 goal handicap, they must win by 2+ goals.
Soccer over/under bets can either be used for both teams or one in particular. For example, if you take a bet for the total game goals to be over 2.5 then there must be three or more goals scored regardless of the result.
Sometimes, you can combine this bet with another to increase the odds. Eg. Both teams to score and total goals over/under 2.5.
These are wagers that don’t directly impact the final game result. Example of common soccer prop bets include: First goalscorer, specific player markets, total freekicks and winning margin.
You can even find more unusual prop bets such as how many corners there will, if a certain player will be booked or sent off and the exact time of the first goal.
Soccer futures bets are simply on markets that you can bet on before and throughout the season, but won’t be determined until the end of a campaign.
For example, Manchester United to win the Premier League, or Canada to qualify for the World Cup.
Also known as an accumulator, soccer parlay betting is when you can bet on multiple games at the same time. So, you can pick two or more fixtures with win or draw markets to multiply your bet. The more teams you pick, the higher your odds but the less chance you’ll win.
Remember that if just one of your bets loses, then the whole parlay bet loses too. It is best to pick multiple favourites in this bet type and with a low stake.
Soccer live betting (or in-play) is when you can take usual game or prop bets while a game is happening. This will mean that odds will fluctuate far more, and you’ll have to make sure you’re watching a game at the same time. Some sportsbooks offer this option if you make a deposit.
In-play soccer markets you can bet on include: next goalscorer, half-time score and total match goals. Live betting is particularly useful if the favourite goes a goal or two down, as you can back them to come back and win with increased odds.
Soccer betting tips
- Seek out experts on social media or blogs offering soccer betting predictions. Of course, see what their win rate is, but if you don’t have the time or knowledge then it is best finding tips from people that bet every day.
- Soccer parlay betting can be lucrative if done right. It is best to find 3-5 teams who are big favourites to win a match and bet relatively small for a bigger payout.
- Live betting is also a great way to find bigger odds. If a big favourite goes a goal down early in the game, their odds to win will be increased. So, backing them to come back and win could see you win more than if you backed them pre-game.
- Find a specific market such as ‘total goals’ and study the teams you wish to bet on. You can find out their head-to-head record and recent result to see if they tend to score a lot or not.
- Related to the above, always study the teams and players’ form and history. While not guaranteed to win, you’ll increase your chances if you know some of the stats such as if a certain player has a great record against the upcoming opponents.
Main soccer competitions to bet on
English Premier League
Often abbreviated to EPL, the Premier League
is English soccer's top division. 20 teams compete in a round robin format each season with the bottom three being
relegated at the end of the campaign. The top four go into the UEFA Champions League.
Global TV rights for the EPL are huge. Some of the best soccer players in the world strut their stuff in the
Premier League, so it's easy to see why this is a popular area of online betting.
Major League Soccer
If you want to have a soccer bet on a Canadian team, then Major League Soccer (MLS) is where you'll find them.
Montreal Impact, Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps are all current Canadian MLS franchises in the American league.
The MLS has 26 teams in it and is divided into two Conferences – Eastern and Western. A series of playoffs after
the regular season ends sees the best from both meet for the MLS Cup.
Spanish La Liga
Soccer in Spain is also big business, and their premier division
La Liga contains El Clasico rivals Real Madrid and Barcelona. While the big guns often duke it out for the title,
there are 20 teams in total in the league that play in a round robin format.
Like the Premier League, the bottom three in the table at the end of a season are relegated. The top four
go into the following season's UEFA Champions League.
UEFA Champions League
The original Champions League concept which has since been replicated all around the world.
Top sides from European soccer's major leagues compete for the honour
of being best club on the continent every year.
Starting with qualifying rounds, the UEFA Champions League proper begins with eight groups of four.
The top two from each pool advance to the knockout phase and play two-legged ties home and away as 16 become two.
Every year a different venue hosts the Champions League final to crown the champions of Europe.
FIFA World Cup
And speaking of international soccer, who can forget the World Cup?
Every four years following qualification that takes places across the planet, countries compete for the most prestigious
prize in the beautiful game.
Although European teams have by far the best record at recent World Cup tournaments, Brazil are still the
ones to beat with five successes. FIFA are expanding the number of countries competing in future World Cups,
so even more soccer will be played!
Best soccer betting apps & mobile options
If you have an Android device or iPhone, then you’ll be able to do mobile betting at any top sportsbook. You’ll be able take advantage of all the features found on a site’s desktop version too, such as the welcome bonus, other promotions, full set of markets and odds and even live betting.
As for the best betting apps, we have picked out Betway as our number one choice for offering a top service to mobile bettors. We found that it is easy to navigate and has a stylish design to enhance the mobile betting experience.
Soccer betting bonuses
All the best online soccer betting sites will offer you something for joining them.
The top ones will go on giving you promotions. Here is a little more on
online betting bonuses:
- Near universal in online sports betting and for new customers only
- Sportsbooks incentivize you into signing up by offering a welcome bonus
- These are often free bets credited to your account when you join.
- This bonus type gives you additional value on backing a favourite or fancied outcome
- Also known as price boosts or flash odds on some sportsbooks
- Open to both new and existing customers
- Some sportsbooks also reward your loyalty if you bet regularly with them
- A VIP Club has certain conditions to be met in order to receive bonuses
- You may need to opt in, but don't have to make the commitment every week
Is soccer betting legal in Canada?
Yes, if you are betting at a fully licensed and regulated soccer betting site in Canada such as the ones we recommend. Just make sure you are of legal age depending on what region you are in.
What are the best soccer betting sites?
With top welcome bonuses, mobile apps, choice of betting markets and more, our expert team has picked out the below as being the best soccer betting sites:
- Sports Interaction
What are the most popular soccer bets?
Some of the most popular soccer bets are:
- Goalscorer markets
- Handicap/spread betting
- Correct score
- Parlay betting
- Live betting